Definition: An algorithm is a set of finite, well defined steps which outlines the solution to a specific problem.Alternative Definition : WHAT IS AN ALGORITHM? – DEFINITION
We use algorithms every day to solve problems, weather we’re conscious of it or not.
When we cook a new dish we follow a recipe, when we solve a math problem we follow a procedure.
In our case, we’d like to document the solution to a specific problem using an algorithm so that we can communicate it to a programmer , or create the tool as a program itself.
We use algorithms, but what are the properties of a good algorithm?
I’m sure you’ve come across bad algorithms already –
- Vague recipe instructions, what exactly is 2 cups of flour?
- A videogame walkthrough that isn’t descriptive enough
- A video tutorial that talks a lot about becoming a youtuber , but the steps aren’t outlined in order.
What are the properties of good instructions, good algorithms?
Properties of good algorithms
- Has a finite number of steps ( a definite beginning and an end)
- Is precise,
- Is unambiguous (not subject to interpretation)
- Shows the flow of control from one sub-process to another
- Must output results
- It must terminate.
© 2021 Vedesh Kungebeharry. All rights reserved.